Local elections: five reasons why they matter
Local elections take place on Thursday, 6 May and they matter more than you might think.
- Councils spend your money. Councillors decide how much council tax you pay and make local decisions on how that is spent.
- Local politics directly affect your everyday life. Think of the little things that bug you in life and chances are it is a council responsibility.
- They decide the future of where you live. As well as providing important public services, councils fundamentally shape your local area.
- Local councillors are accessible. You are voting for the person you can turn to for help when you need it. It is a councillor's job to hear your concerns and represent your views.
- You have the right to vote. Local elections have important consequences for you and your family. Your vote matters - don't lose it.