New recycling centre could make Welwyn Hatfield even greener
We've teamed up with Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) to submit a planning application for a new Household Waste Recycling Centre in WGC.
The planned multi-million pound investment from both authorities would completely redevelop the Tewin Road site, currently used as a base for WHBC's streetscene contractors.
Under the plans, modern depot facilities will be developed alongside a purpose built HWRC, which will replace the existing site at Cole Green on the A414 providing multiple improvements for residents over the existing HWRC.
As well as continuing to increase Hertfordshire's recycling rate, the shared use of the site would generate efficiencies in how both councils deliver waste and recycling services.
The redevelopment would include:
· replacing the majority of existing buildings and facilities on site with upgraded infrastructure and depot parking;
· re-surfacing the site;
· the construction of a new split level HWRC for the public meaning that the majority of containers can be accessed without the need to use steps;
· a new 'Re-Use Centre' that will enable residents to drop-off materials and purchase donated items;
· a weighbridge to allow WHBC to weigh their own vehicles and also provide a facility for small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) to compliantly dispose of small amounts of commercial material at the HWRC for a charge;
· providing a vehicle wash, vehicle workshop, two-storey car park and upgraded material bulking bays;
The new site has been designed with easy access in mind with a long entrance road for HWRC users to prevent queuing onto the highway, significantly more parking capacity and the design incorporates disabled spaces, pedestrian access and bike locks for those using public transport, walking or cycling to the site.
Ka Ng, Corporate Director at WHBC, said:
We know our local residents and businesses are really keen recyclers and want to do all they can to help the environment. They have wanted to see a better facility in the borough for some time and these proposals deliver on that, whilst at the same time giving us an opportunity to operate our services more efficiently.
Proposals can be viewed online shortly at www.hertfordshire.gov.uk and there will be two engagement events held on Wednesday 18 December, from 16:00 to 19:00, and Thursday 19 December from 15:00 to 18:00, at the Thalians Theatre (64-68 Bridge Rd East, Welwyn Garden City, AL7 1JU) where residents can talk to officers.