Dragon Boat Racing Festival
Register a community or corporate team to take part in our open dragon boat racing competition.
We have 36 boats available to participate in the festival which has been organised as part of the Welwyn Garden City centenary celebrations.
Each boat will have 11 people on board and each team is guaranteed three races. Each race is timed. After all the heats have taken place, the six fastest boats are entered into a semi-final and then onto a final.
The dragon boats, all equipment and qualified helms are provided by the organisers.
The event runs all day, the first race is at 10am so competitors will be asked to register their team around 9am, and the final is due to take place around 5pm.
Food and drink
Refreshments will be provided to purchase. Competitors and spectators are also welcome to bring refreshments if they wish.
This is an open event, however competitors must be 16 years or over.
All competitors should be fairly competent swimmers as the event takes place on a lake. You will be required to wear a buoyancy aid, provided by the organisers, at all times when on the boat.
There is no requirement for a mixed gender boat, however there will be a prize for the quickest mixed boat. To qualify as a mixed crew you will need a minimum of 5 females in each race.
Where possible, we will make every effort to make this event as accessible as we can. Should you or your teammates have specific needs or requirements, please get in touch prior to making your booking to discuss further.
Cost to enter a team
Corporate team entry and sponsorship: £1,200*
*Discount of £200 if signed up and paid before 31 December 2019.
- One boat (11 persons) entry into the open competition which takes place on Sunday 5 July.
- Squads can be up to 15 people and organisations can enter more then one team.
- One team photo to take away.
- Your company logo on WGC100 website within the sports section of the website.
- Your company will be listed on the event information page on the Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Website.
- Your company logo will appear within the souvenir programme as an 'official sponsor'.
- Your company will receive acknowledgment of your contribution during Festival Commentary.
- As a sponsor you will also have the offer of a promotional stand at the event to promote your business (note that the event organisers will only provide you with the space, companies will have to provide all other resources).
- Your contributions also provides local community groups a discounted rate as well as providing funding towards the local secondary school event which will take place on the 6th July.
Community organisation team entry: £110
- Entry of one boat into the event
- One team photo to take away
Support and attendance
Any business or charity is welcome to pay for a pitch to promote their organisation or work. The pitch hire is dependent on the size of your stall and what you are planning on delivering on the day. As such, prices will be given on an individual basis. However for a simple 5metre by 5metre area the cost to any business or community group would be £150.