Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations
A series of celebrations will take place throughout Welwyn Hatfield to mark the occasion.
Please note that our Estates team are no longer able to consider applications to use council-owned land as there is now less than 6 weeks until the Jubilee weekend.
This year the Her Majesty The Queen will become the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee after 70 years of service.
The extended bank holiday in June will provide an opportunity for communities and people in the borough to come together to celebrate the historic milestone. Across the four days, celebrations will include street parties and community activities, as well as national moments of reflections on The Queen's 70 years of service.
We're kick-starting the celebrations with a celebratory lunch at The Hive in partnership with the Jimmy Macs. From Thursday 2 June, things become official with a lighting of a beacon over at Campus West. Mill Green Museum will be hosting their 'Jubilee Family Day' on the 2 June with garden games, craft activities and 50s music entertainment as well as their 'Jubilee Vintage Day' on 3 June where you can party like it's 1952 all over again!
Throughout the extra-long weekend, we'll be lighting the Coronation Fountain and our clock tower in Welwyn Garden City and Arcade lights in Hatfield red, white and blue. We will also be decorating the town centres with Union Jack bunting to help you feel extra patriotic!
Find out if your street will be hosting a Jubilee party! We've put together a list of the road closures across the borough over the weekend.
Fun ideas for your Jubilee party
Whether it's sharing a cuppa with a neighbour on the doorstep or a bigger bash in the street, join millions of people celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee and share friendship, food and fun.
- Are you a keen foodie? Bake some sweet treats or cook traditional savory snacks like coronation pies, bunting biscuits or a fruity flag traybake to take to your street party! The BBC Good Food has plenty of tasty recipes to choose from.
- Host a quiz to test your guests knowledge of all things British.
- Get the kids involved! Print out the downloadable Union Jack flag and get them colouring.
- Raise a toast to the Queen with Jamie Oliver's English Garden mocktail - perfect to keep you cool during your party.
- If you've been tasked with putting together a song playlist for your party, don't worry, we've got sorted! Download this 'Best of British' Spotify playlist and impress your guests with your DJ skills! Enjoy music from British artists like Elton John, The Beatles, Adele, Spice Girls, Vera Lynn and many more!
- Impress with your craft skills and make your own blue and red bunting with a DIY Jubilee bunting kit.
- Make your own rasberry jam to enjoy with traditional scones and cream.
- Organise fun games and activities suitable for all ages to keep everybody entertained.
- Use Canva, a free design tool to create your own street party invitations or posters.
- Surprise everyone by serving BBC's Good Food scone cake filled with strawberries and fluffy whipped cream - a twist on the classic scone.
However you're celebrating, add your details to the interactive map which displays all the events and activities that will be taking place right across the UK.
Whether you're attending or hosting a party, food safety should always be a top priority.
Queen's Green Canopy
The QGC is a unique tree-planting initiative to mark the Jubilee. The special project will see organisations and individuals from across the UK encouraged to plant a tree. With the focus on planting sustainably, the initiative encourages planting of trees to create a legacy in honour of The Queen's leadership of the nation, to benefit future generations.
We kicked off the tree planting season and the start of Welwyn Hatfield's involvement with the initiative by planting a tree on the Campus in the heart of Welwyn Garden City back in October 2021.
Anybody can get involved and "Plant a Tree for the Jubilee" - find out more.