Armed Forces Community Covenant
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council has signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant is a pledge by the government to make sure that the armed forces are valued and supported by everyone.
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council has signed up to and supports the Hertfordshire Community Covenant, this aims to:
- encourage local communities to support the service community
- promote understanding and awareness among the public of issues affecting the Armed Forces community
- recognise and remember the sacrifices faced by the Armed Forces community
- encourage activities which help to integrate the Armed Forces community into local life
- Encourage the armed forces community to help and support the wider community, whether through participation in events and joint projects, or other forms of engagement.
Why is it important?
Members of the Armed Forces make a significant contribution to this country and many risk their lives for it. Returning from service can be difficult, but life is made easier if service personnel receive support and gratitude for the dangerous work they do.
How is the council involved?
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council is committed to supporting forces personnel and their families, and to helping them to continue to contribute strongly to society. Armed Forces personnel can be reluctant to ask for help, so the council will show that it is here to give it.
The council has signed up to a Community Covenant action plan in consultation with the Royal British Legion. All Hertfordshire District and Borough Council's have now signed up to this and are working jointly across the county to deliver it.
For more information about support for Armed Forces personnel and their families including access to the Housing Needs Register please visit the Support for the Armed Forces community page.
Should you have any questions or wish to receive more information regarding Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council's contribution to Armed Services support, please contact our nominated officer or the Lead Member for Health.
More information on the Armed Forces Covenant for communities can be found on the gov.uk website.